Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The final chapters of Sophie's World are slightly harder to relate to what we have learned or discussed in class, because they don't teach us about any philosopher or event (besides the Big Bang) directly. However I can work with a few things. The book seems to accept the Big Bang as the theory to how the universe began, but we have talked about other theories as well. Recently in class, we had lengthy discussions on creation versus evolution, which relates to this subject. Many people believe the scientific point of view in evolution, just as they believe in the Big Bang, where many people believe in the religious point of view of creation (God directly created everything and everyone: most of science is nonsense). Personally, though I do have some religious beliefs, I take the science point of view, with evolution and the Big Bang. Another thing in these chapters that connects to what we have been reading in class in separate worlds and reality. Is Sophie real? Is Hilde real? Are we real? These are all issues that are posed to llusbat the end of the novel, as well as issues that we often talk about in class. Personally I think we are in fact real, and Sophie and Hilde are just characters of literature, but we have learned about many different options of realities and countless different point of views from philosophers. Some say we can't trust our senses, some say we can. Some say that the world is real, some say it's not. Some have spiritual views, some have scientific. There is no way to know if one theory is right or to really understand our existence. I guess that's what philosophy is though, constantly questioning simple things of life, including our own existence. Because this is my final entry, I will give my final thoughts. I think we are all real. We can trust or senses and instincts. We think therefore we are. Our minds and bodies do exist. Science can explain so much, but not everything. There may or may not be a god beyond our world. And there's probably more that I'm forgetting. Those are the simple conclusions that I have come to through this class and our novel, though they may change, that's where I stand as of now. These are my thoughts, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment